Sunday, July 13, 2014

Stony Creek Marathon

      Stony Marathon, one of my favorite races. Because of my changes in classes(from BEGINNER to SPORT class!),  I have to do THREE laps, ten miles each. I, of course, was SUPER nervous. So, yes, I knew the trail, but what if I fell, or got lost(like last year), or lose count of my number of laps(Yes I can count to three, but what if I get too caught up in the moment and forget? My head is already spinning!), or even(DUN DUN DUUUUUNNN!!!!!) DNF?!?!
       Because Meilee was racing with Dad, I was going solo again. Meilee and her BEGINNER class only had 10 miles of riding to do, or, 1 lap, so after Meilee is done, Dad was going to join me at the beginning of my 3rd lap. Instead of riding the trainer(cuz we didn't bring one), Dad, Meilee, and I rode up and down the cement hill that was nearby the restrooms until it was time to begin, which came quite quickly...

"3,"

"2,"

''1,"

"GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

With a kick of my cleat off the ground, I made my way up the small false flats in the beginning. Next thing I knew, there were packs of cyclists EVERYWHERE on the gravel hill.
      It was like the ULTIMATE traffic jam, the only place that could top a traffic jam like this would be the Iceman and the Ore-to-Shore! After finally coming out of the pack of cyclists, I made my way to the next obstacles. Sand, sand, sand! Stony Creeks specialty is and was sand with a sprinkle(more like... a GALLON)of humidity on top. Halfway through I was getting some speed, ramping my way up each hill like it was a false flat. But at one point, I was really feeling the heat!  I was really getting sweaty 3/4 of the way through my 1st lap, but I told myself there was a mocha(MY FAVORITE!) flavored gu pack waiting for me at the start of lap 2(which there was at every start of a lap, except for the 1st lap).With a hint of encouragement, I was able to keep my race pace 'till the end of round 1.
      At the start of lap 2, my legs felt very achy, but I told myself:
AVERY! You are OK. Get up and get ready for round 2! You are anything BUT exhausted and undetermined! Pretend that Dad is behind you, barking at 'ya. What would Dad say if he saw you slackin' off just cuz your tired? Huh, what would he say? 
To keep myself going I kept on saying in my head, What would Dad say? 
      By the time I got to the dry, hot area, I felt like a deflated balloon. But with the help of the tasty gu pack I was going again, but with a longer, stronger pace. Pretty soon I felt a vigorous shake come from my seat when I went through the bumpy, rock infested trail, which was about halfway through lap 2. My seat was coming loose!!! Luckily, I was able to tolerate it through the rest of the lap. Well at least it didn't start at the VERY beginning!
      So at the beginning of lap 3, I told Dad that my seat was messed up immediately. Dad borrowed a tool and straightened my seat up while I ate my gu pack. Then, we got straight to business, no hesitations. Even though the seat was tipped to far forward. Soon, the hills didn't feel as hard as they would normally, and we spun through the flats like they were downhills. Next thing I knew, Dad wasn't behind me... It was on the last humongous hill, which I pedaled like crazy to get to the top. I looked behind me an Dad was fading off into the distance.
      I      BEAT      DAD!!!   was the only thing I was thinking of, over and over. But it wasn't time for celebration yet! First things first, finish the race! I was coming into the home stretch and....................
FINISH!!!
So...Dad and I have this bet. If I beat him, he has to wear a big frilly(did I mention fluffy?)pink tutu. Cuz of me leaving him on the last big hill(/passing him), he has to wear a pink(not red, not navy blue, not yellow, not even purple, but PINK) tutu!!! Anyway, I got 3rd place and a satisfyingly won bet, who could want more?


THANK YOU DAD FOR HELPING ME ACHIEVE GOALS SO HIGH, THAT I NEED 7 THICK WEBSTER DICTIONARIES IN ORDER TO EVEN HAVE HOPES OF CATCHING MY "IN YOUR DREAMS"  WISHES.




-Avery :) 





No comments: