Friday, August 30, 2013

The final race of the series!

STONY   CREEK


            Solo-a very lonely word, a singular of persons, solo=1 and one alone.
I went by myself, Meilee (little sister), went with our dad.
So this is what I call sisterly competition!
The two of us rode around together, to not just get are heart rates up, but also to have a little bit of fun.
Before we started, we cheered on the younger children at the kid’s race, with loud,
“Keep it up’s”, and encouraging, ”Your almost there’s!!!”
We were all lined up at the start line, me, Meilee, and another boy called Sean.
Our Dad was talking to a few people about me, and he bragged about how I finished the Ore-2-Shore. He also explained how I dramatically broke my front fork.
            Meilee looked a bit nervous at the start line, for this was her first race with clip less pedals.
I thought Meilee was pretty brave to think about trying, but I also thought of how risky it was, going into a race with NO experience with clip less pedals, whatsoever.
“Starting in 5,”
I felt the hard ground as I pawed it with my cleat.
“4,”
I felt my heart, pounding, under my jersey.
“3,”
I once again, felt the hard ground underneath me.
“2,”
I got ready to push off and…
“1!!!!”                                                   
My foot pushed down as hard as it possibly could.
I quickly reared my leg and clicked it into place.
Slowly, I went up a few gears as I sped up in the pack of riders.
Keeping up with them wasn’t so easy!
A few riders were so careless and didn’t really care about anyone around them.
This one person stopped and was walking right in front of me and refused to move, apparently.
Then another rider just cut me off at the same time!
Sheesh! Just because you’re in a race doesn’t mean to forget your manners!!!
I took a few quick peeks behind to see if Meilee was trailing on my tail, nope.
No Meilee
No Sean
Well, they were the least of my troubles; breaking away from this stampede is 1st on my to-do list.
Half way through the race all of the packs were all cleared.
Occasionally (but rarely), I’d see a small group of 3 speeding by, testing each other’s strength by sprinting with all their might.
I could tell I was almost done, for I knew this trail very well.
 People were screaming in the distance.
I may feel drained, but I can always do a finish sprint, any day, any time!!!
So I gathered up my leftover energy and put the rest of it into this sprint;
Circle after circle, stroke after stroke.
I took a quick look up as I heard a familiar voice shouting my name;
“Avery! Avery! C’mon babe!!!”  It was Dad!!! And, and, and Meilee!!!
Did they get by me somehow?
Did they cheat?
DID THEY DNF???
My mind was teeming with questions!
First things first, I gotta finish this race!!!

“How did you? How did Meilee? What happened?!?!?”
 “Meilee fell to many times, she couldn’t get out of her pedals fast enough, so we had to…”
“DNF,”I said
“Yup, that. She was crying. She got beat up real bad.” He replied.
So that’s why Meilee and Dad were here! She had to DNF…
      A time of 54minutes, 7 seconds, 1ST Place + my plaque, and an Iceman entry.
What’s that? You wonder how I’m gonna hold off myself with training?
Well, the biking season isn’t over just yet!
There are a few MISCA races I can do!
So stay in touch with my new status updates!

A special thanks goes out to all you supporters (/fans) out there!
For supporting me at every race I do!



Avery

No comments: